In a joint development between Advance Northumberland and supermarket Morrisons, the scheme will comprise of an exciting new retail park, anchored by a 25,000 sq ft Morrisons food store, complemented by a number of other national retailers, a petrol filling station and a Drive Thru facility. The development has scope to benefit Amble by:
- Improving and diversifying the range of retail and local amenity available to local residents
- Regenerating a prominent, derelict site
- Reducing the need for local people to travel elsewhere to do their shopping
- Significantly boosting the local economy, creating new jobs, as well as jobs in construction
- Completing the development of a key site as part of the broader regeneration of Amble by Advance Northumberland.
As well as the 25,000 sqft supermarket, there will be an additional c.35,000 sqft of other retail, split across units ranging from 1,000 to 10,000 sqft. The development will also include improved vehicle access into the site, improved connectivity to the surrounding housing for both pedestrian and cyclists and car parking.
Subject to the consultation, the planning application submission is targeted for late summer and subject to approval work is anticipated to commence early 2019 with a store opening later that year.